If you happen to live in an area that gets a lot of rain, it’s important to keep an eye out for leaks and standing water. Mold spores typically thrive in moist, dark areas, which can have an adverse effect on your health. Spending time in humid places with poor ventilation can increase your chances of developing mold-related illnesses, which include allergy-like symptoms such as skin rashes and respiratory problems.
What Health Problems Are Caused By Mold Inhalation?
According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), the symptoms associated with mold exposure can vary significantly. Individuals who are sensitive to molds may develop more severe reactions, some of which are found at the bottom of the list below.
- Upper Respiratory Infections
- Skin Irritation
- Wheezing or Congestion
- Asthmatic Symptoms in Children or Individuals with Asthma
What Places Often Have A High Rate of Mold Exposure?
The CDC lists several places that can be potential breeding grounds for mold spores. Saunas, farms, mills and construction sites are just a few such areas. Interestingly enough, summer cottages are another place that can have high levels of mold. If you have a place you visit in the summer, be sure to check thoroughly for signs of mold growth. The CDC recommends that you turn on your air conditioner during summer months or open windows to rooms that don’t get a lot of ventilation.
What Type of Treatment Is Involved?
If you have developed the symptoms above, tell your doctor when you developed symptoms, where you were when they occurred and when the symptoms were at their worst. According to the Mayo Clinic, if the doctor suspects a mold allergy he or she may offer you a skin prick test or a blood test. When your doctor has confirmed a mold allergy, he or she may prescribe one of the following treatments:
- Nasal corticosteroids
- Oral Decongestants
- Nasal Decongestant Sprays