It’s Spring and Easter is just around the corner! The Easter season is a festive time for many families across America. Families participate in fun outdoor activities like Easter egg hunting, outdoor picnics, and even arts and crafts to add to the enjoyment of the holiday season. For some the holiday can be difficult, especially if loved ones are far from home. Many families may have a senior in a retirement home, which can be difficult and even lonely for some. Making their Easter season positive can make for a more enjoyable time for them. Let’s explore options on how to make Easter exciting for the senior in your life!
Easter Fun And Creative Activities
Retirement homes can provide fun activities that promote positivity and enjoyment during the Easter season. Holding special activities during the Easter season can add variety and fun to the lives of residents. The goal is to make the residents feel at home. The following are some ideas that can make a the Easter holiday a positive one for seniors:
- Have music time. We never outgrow our love for music. Music sets the mood for every occasion. Have a band visit the nursing home and provide entertainment. Make sure that it’s a band that is versatile and knows a variety of music that seniors will enjoy. If dancing is involved, make sure that the resident has someone to assist them in case they have a medical or physical condition that limits them.
- Hold an ice-cream social. Ice cream socials provide a positive and fun time for seniors as they get to enjoy good food and a moment to reminisce on childhood memories. It is important to be mindful of any health issues that may limit some seniors from participating. If a senior for instance cannot eat sugar because of diabetes, make sure to offer options so that they’re not left out of the festivities.
- Play Bingo! Seniors love a game of Bingo since it involves good community time and learning. Award the winner with a fun prize in form a of an Easter basket. It’s a perfect time for family members to join in and participate.
- Have the Easter bunny visit the residents. No matter how old we get, a good time filled with laughter provides medicine to the soul. Seniors can grow tired with health and physical concerns that limit their daily lives. Having their picture taken with the Easter bunny might just brighten their day!
- Host a story-time. Studies show that keeping the mind active actually helps fight dementia. Have a director or even the senior under your care read a story about Easter. This not only involves the community, but allows seniors to feel valued and heard.
Safety Is Important
Unfortunately there have been incidents of nursing home abuse, so make sure that you are well-informed about the overall care of the senior in your life. It is important to have coverage in the case of neck or back injuries to a senior or worker during activities. The retirement home should be aware of any physical or emotional limitations a resident is experiencing. Senior citizens need special attention and care. Help make Easter bright and special for the senior in your life!
Make sure that your loved one is well cared for and in safe hands. Be an active participant in their care and well-being!